Cardboard Castles and Other Amenities...

I am really interested in using different forms of cultural action to help build better communities. Communities are a vital social model, allowing us to tackle problems beyond the ability of individuals with the focus of a defined (usually relatively small) group of people. How do the arts and cultural work in general help communities grow more sustainable futures? If you have a cool website or project or your own ideas on these subjects please let me know.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Got the Buying on my Mind


After seeing What Would Jesus Buy I have been thinking a lot about what I buy, where and how it was made, and whether or not I need (or even want, as in it will make my life more fulfilling or fun) it.

The other day, after reading the “Consuming Responsible” section of Worldchanging; a User’s Guide for the 21st Century (the book by my pals/bro at Worldchanging.com), I headed over to Bed, Bath and Beyond (sounds like Buzz Lightyear meats Martha Stuiter) to buy linen for my new bed. Low and behold I find Bamboo sheets, which according to “Consuming Responsible,” is “[0]ne of the most renewable resources for fiber…” It was a pleasant surprise to find that the store I choose for convince also gave me an environmentally healthy choice.

This morning I was perusing the May 2007 version of Paper Magazine and I cam across Etsy Does It, profiling Etsy.com, basically an Ebay for handmade goods. Not only is this a great resource for people who are trying to buy local, sweat shop free items, but there are some really creative interactive features to this website. If you are a web designer I strongly recommend you take a stroll through this site. One of my favorite is picks are Colors (it is just beautiful) and Geolocator (which could allow you to be geographically conscious of your purchases on the site.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home