Cardboard Castles and Other Amenities...

I am really interested in using different forms of cultural action to help build better communities. Communities are a vital social model, allowing us to tackle problems beyond the ability of individuals with the focus of a defined (usually relatively small) group of people. How do the arts and cultural work in general help communities grow more sustainable futures? If you have a cool website or project or your own ideas on these subjects please let me know.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Global Street Art


I recently started a new job, which leaves me lots of free time to play on the internet. Since it does not leave me any other kind of free time I am forced to do my blogging here at the café. I tell you this so that you will understand all the typos that are likely to occur (Typing while standing up is harder than it seems.)

However, I did want to talk about a cool project going on. Rodrigo Lopez, RIPO, and ABOVE are traveling around Latin America, stopping in 18 countries in 6 months. Dubbing it The South Central Tour, they have put up some really fascinating public art pieces.

I checked out ABOVE’s website and found it the most appealing. Although it took me quite awhile to have any idea of what his work was getting at (I’m slow like that), it became interesting on two levels. One, direction as the main theme of his work and critique is pretty cool. We often miss the things that are not on our eye level be they below or above. As an avid looker, I can say that looking up often makes me feel like a tourist, as if I should already know what is above me or not care. Second, it is always awesome to learn of artists who are just doing it. This is a constant challenge of mine and I love the helpful advice he gives. Who knew you could easily create a whole years worth of euro-rail passes from one official pass using a computer and Photoshop. Also, I love his quotes:


"Opportunity is missed by most people becauseit is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas A. Edison

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home